Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Got Lucky

Got Lucky

The weatherman was mostly right about the weather today, but the seas didn’t pick up until much later than expected. Lucky for me.

I knew today was going to be tough as small craft advisories and gale wind warming went into effect today at noon. I wanted to make as many miles as I could before the weather turned.

I got underway in total darkness this morning at about 6:25am. Sometimes 30 minutes can mean a lot on bad weather days. Luckily, the bay was pretty good almost all day. I had a few instances where the waves picked up and it got uncomfortable, but otherwise it was a successful day on the water. Unfortunately, Bear does not have autopilot, so spending 10.5 hours by yourself, hand-steering in open water is a bit of a chore and rather tiring. I know it is better than shoveling snow, but I have no doubt I will sleep well tonight. I finished the day in Chesapeake City at the Town Docks after covering 195 miles today.

Tomorrow is weather payback! It has already started to rain here with winds picking up to 35kts sustained and gusting to 45kts tonight into tomorrow. There is a possibility of freezing rain as well and 5 foot seas on the Delaware Bay. No thank you!

Going to keep me and the boat in one piece and stay tied to the dock tomorrow. Sometimes you got to know when to fold’em.

I doubt there will be any update tomorrow, but you never know.









No comments:

Post a Comment