Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Good-bye Erie Canal

So long to the Erie Canal...

Steve and I had a small delay this morning due to fog. I hate fog. Anyone who has boated with me knows how much I hate fog. Luckily the fog didn't stay around long and we were underway at 7:30. We made it to the first lock at 8:05 and things went pretty much on schedule from there. Believe it or not, it was actually a bit cold this morning. In my t-shirt and shorts I was looking for a windbreaker or sweatshirt, which I didn't have. Who would have thought I needed to have cold weather gear for the beginning of August.

The trip down the Erie was uneventful. We arrived at a few locks today and had a brief wait because the lockmaster was MIA. After radio calls, calls to the lock office and finally a call to the Erie Canal superintendent, magically the lockmaster appeared and the gates opened. Good to know phone numbers of people in high places... The day was almost perfect until the last 10 minutes. We were in the last lock of the Flight of Five heading into Waterford, NY where the Erie Canal connects with the Hudson River. We were 10 minutes from docking the boat for the night when the sky opened up and we had a solid down pour of rain. It has been raining for over an hour and doesn't look like it will let up for awhile. Otherwise, the boat is running great and we are right on schedule.

Steve continues to do great with handling the boat. He drove all day and did all 14 locks. In addition, he dodged lots of sticks and logs in the canal today from the rain that we have had over the last couple of days. He will be well prepared when he arrives in Annapolis on Friday. Not a lot of pictures today. We will head down the Hudson River tomorrow and spend the night near New York City. All is well on Linda Vista. We are thinking Chinese take-out tonight for dinner??

Sorry about the pictures. I didn't take very many today. So I cheated and used some pictures from my last trip in May. Sorry!


A simple shack on the Erie Canal.


The spill way at Lock #7











No comments:

Post a Comment