Saturday, March 7, 2015

Life is Good


Life is Good


Bruce and I had a great run from Palm Coast down to Stuart today.  We covered 181 miles in just under 10 hrs.  I had forgotten how many “no wake” and “manatee zones” there are in Florida. 


The day started out with misty and overcast skies.  It was pretty cool when we got underway in the morning a few minutes after 7:00.  We both had to go below and put on sweatshirts.  However, by about noon, we got far enough south that the skies began to clear and the temps got back into the 80’s in short order.


Everything was going great until we got to the Fort Pierce Inlet.  I had my first run in with the “law”.  I have been boarded many times for routine inspections by the Coast Guard, Boarder Patrol, Customs, Sheriff, etc.  However, this was my first for an actual “infraction”.  I had cleared, what I thought, was the end of the no wake zone at the Fort Pierce South Bridge.  We passed a small sightseeing boat, and then got back up on plane.  Unfortunately, the end of the no wake zone was about another mile south.  In short order, I had a Florida Fish and Wildlife officer with blue lights flashing requesting I stop.


We stopped and they came on board.  They asked for ID and we went through the routine.  I apologized to the officer and said I had thought we were clear of the no wake zone and that it was definitely my fault.  The officer looked at us for a few seconds and said “ it pains me not to write you a ticket, but I am going to give you a break today”.  He had witnessed us go through over a mile of no wake zone at the Fort Pierce Inlet and I think he knew we did not intentionally break the law.


Score one for the good guys.  Bruce pretty much laughed it off, but I was very embarrassed.  No harm, no foul.  The stop only lasted about 5 minutes, so not a bad “lesson learned”. 


We got into Hutchinson Marina in Stuart last night around 5:00pm.  After some fuel and a good wash down of the boat, we met up with my folks for dinner.  Not a bad end to a good day on the water.


We are looking forward to having Bruce’s wife Leslie and son Braeden join us tomorrow in Boca Raton.






An ugly start to our morning in Stuart.


Not pretty as we are leaving Stuart this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment