Thursday, April 30, 2015

Back to Montauk

We finished up today, but the seas were no comparison to yesterday. The National Weather Service had a small craft advisory go into effect on Thursday afternoon. We knew it would be a bad day, but boy were we in for a surprise.

Because of the forecasted bad weather, I got up at 4:30am and was just waiting until I could get off the dock. Finally by 5:30, I had enough light to see well enough to get underway. Out the inlet we went from Atlantic City. You would have thought the weatherman messed up. It was flat calm and the seas were almost flat. I even considered for a brief second to go ahead and shoot straight across for Montauk, but then I thought better of it. I'm glad I did.

Instead we headed up the coast of NJ. We decided to run up Long Island Sound instead of chance the seas off shore. We definitely made the right decision. By about 7:00am the seas were sold 4 footers and building. We took spray over the flybridge until we made New York Harbor around 10:00am. It was a long 3 hour run.

We had a good hour or so running from the Harbor up to the Throgs Neck Bridge. The East River of New York was relatively flat, only because it was protected and narrow. However, when we turned and started east on Long Island Sound the wave were every bit of 3 feet. We banged around for about an hour before we finally had to pull the throttles back. The choppy water had beaten us enough. We slowed down for about 2 hours and then the seas finally calmed down a bit. Still rough, but we were no longer taking spray and waves over the top of the flybridge.

We pulled into Montauk Yacht Club around 3:30pm after 226 miles and 10 hours. I'll admit, I was glad to get off the boat today. It was just a long slog. Brad and I worked hard to get the boat washed and cleaned up inside and out for the owner. Then we headed over to the bar for a well deserved celebratory drink. We are now just waiting on the owner to arrive and have dinner. We will fly home to NC tomorrow. I'm looking forward to seeing my wife before I head out again on Monday.


Sunrise and flat water pulling out of Atlantic City this morning. She tired to trick us, but we didn't bite.










The villas at Montauk Yacht Club


They have 223 slips at MYC. Only 11 boats were in the marina when we pulled in today. WOW!


The beach.


A well deserved drink at the bar of the MYC. We covered 900 miles in just 4 days from Charleston, SC to Montauk, NY

No comments:

Post a Comment