Saturday, April 22, 2017

Always an Adventure

April 13th - So Day 2 is in the books and it was nothing like Day 1. No two days are ever alike. However, the day started out great. We had almost identical conditions to start the day. We pulled out of the marina at 6:45 and went around the back side of Hilton Head and popped out at Tybee Roads and then back into the North Atlantic Ocean. Seas were almost the same as yesterday. We started out with an East swell about 3 feet and 8 second. The forecast was for condition to worsen during the day and for the winds to pick up. The weather man hit it spot on today. By noon, we had very small white caps on the top of the swells and the seas were getting closer together and becoming a bit rough. 

Since we knew the forecast was for conditions to worsen during the day, we decided instead of making a straight line out the Tybee Road Inlet to Ponce Inlet at New Smyrna Beach in Florida, we would follow the shore line a bit more and run inlet to inlet. This way, if the conditions got too bad, we could just tuck in and continue running down the ICW.

We went by the entrances to St Simon, then St Mary's and then onto the St Johns River at 12:30pm . Conditions were getting pretty bad, but we only had 35 miles to make St Augustine Inlet. So we toughed it out and continued on. The St Augustine inlet was a bit sporty coming in today. With the building East swell and an out going tide, we had some pretty nasty waves to contend with. I had been through that inlet over a dozen times and knew what to expect so we made it through without incident. I think Frank had some white knuckle moments as I took the boat through, but I think it also gave him confidence in what his boat can do.

So under the Bridge of Lions in St Augustine we went at 2:00 pm with the same goal to make New Smyrna Beach by days end via the ICW. I think I passed every "Looper", sail boat, trawler and local all heading north today out of Florida. I must have been up and down on the throttle 50 times in 3 hours. By 5:00pm we were coming into Daytona Beach and thinking we would make New Smyrna by 6:30 or 7:00pm. We had our slip reserved and the night watchman was set to fuel us up when we got in.

But as we all know, the boating Gods often have different plans for us. As we were coming under the Main Street Bridge in a no wake zone in Daytona Beach, we get an overheat alarm on the Starboard engine. Well that was odd as the boat was running great all day. So I shut down the engine, ask Frank to drive for a second as I run down into the engine room to take a look. Nothing jumps out at first glance. At this point I am figuring it is the impeller that has crapped out. I put my hand on the front of the water pump and sure enough, it is hot as a stove top. I feel the port water pump and it is nice and cool. So... no problem I think. I know we have an extra impeller down below. We are passing by Halifax Harbor Marina. I take the wheel and pull into the marina. Since we are in Daytona, let's act like a NASCAR pit crew. We get tied up to the fuel dock and I have Frank pumping fuel while I am down working on the impeller. We are still going to make New Smyrna Beach.... I think.

Again, the boating Gods have a different plan for us. I change into some work clothes, pull the face plate off the water pump and low and behold, the impeller looks brand spanking new. What???? How can this be? Okay, what am I missing? I open the seacock, water comes pouring out. Well that is not it. Scratch my head. Then scratch my head some more. Finally tell Frank the day is over. Need to get a diesel mechanic to come to the boat and see what he thinks. I start calling local shops and get a guy to come by in the morning at 10:00am.

So we get a slip assignment and start to head over to the slip on one engine. I realize there is no way to get the boat in the slip without the other engine due to the wind. So I think I will quickly start up the bad engine and use it to put us in the slip. Well once I start the engine, the temp starts dropping like a rock. I yell to Frank, pull the line and fenders in, I think we have our problem fixed. We take the boat back out onto the ICW and run down the waterway for a quarter mile up on plane. The temps are steady at 165F, just where they have been all day long. By now it is 6:30 pm and I'm beat. We have already covered 227 miles and I'm thinking that still ain't too bad for a days work. We turn around and dock at Halifax Harbor for the night in Daytona Beach. We still won't have any problem making Stuart, FL tomorrow. That will allow us to run across Lake Okeechobee on Saturday to finish in Ft Myers right on schedule. 

About the only thing I can think of is that we must have picked up a plastic bag or some junk in the no wake zone as we came under the bridge. Once we stopped for fuel, the bag or junk just floated away. So that is my story and I'm sticking to it unless someone on the forum has a better suggestion as to what could have caused this.

All's well that ends well. No two days are a like on the water. You just got to roll with the punches sometimes.


You can see out track as we came in last night on one side of Hilton Head and popped out on the other side this morning.

We hugged the coastline as weather was to worsen as the day progressed.



No comments:

Post a Comment