Friday, October 10, 2014

Another Full Day

I'm pretty tired tonight. Got up early and out on the water before day break so I would make all the bridges south of Norfolk. Seas were a bit bigger than forecasted this morning. They were about 3 to 4 feet with some big rollers out there. Boat did fine, but it was more work than yesterday. Came off the ocean about 12:30 into the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay.

The Navy had a huge aircraft carrier in port today and the security zone was huge. I had to about drive the boat to Ohio to get around. The Coast Guard was not messing around either. There were multiple announcements on the VHF and when I got a little too close they had a small inflatable after me in a skinny minute. I quickly altered course to go further out and they called off the full assault.

Other than that, it was a great day. Sunny and almost hot around 80. I made all the bridges and pulled into Coinjock at 4:30 with plenty of fuel this time. I really got lucky yesterday. Lesson learned; on any delivery always top off the fuel before you leave no matter what the gauge says!

Will have one more long day tomorrow. Will go ahead and finish the trip by completing about 235 miles down to Wrightsville Beach. Hopefully the weather continues to be good and I will try and run down Pamlico Sound to save a few miles. Then I will just have to slog it out with the multitudes of sailboats and trawlers (snow birds) all moving south now on the ICW. A cold beer tomorrow night is going to taste really good!

No comments:

Post a Comment