Sunday, October 12, 2014

One for the Record Books

One for the books!

Another trip is done and in record time. I finished the trip up today from NY to NC in just 3 days. I covered 236 miles today in 11 hours. I pulled out of Coinjock at 6:30 this morning and had the boat tied up in her new slip at 5:30 tonight. It was a long day to say the least, but it feels good to be done.

I had a truly beautiful run across Albemarle Sound this morning and then down the Pamlico Sound as you can see from the pictures. Light wind and calm seas make for a great morning. I got back on the ICW around noon time and there was a bunch of boat traffic. I tried to go out the Beaufort Inlet and run off-shore down to Wrightsville Beach to avoid the ICW.

The forecast off-shore was 2 to 4 feet. Apparently the Beaufort Inlet didn’t read the forecast. It was so rough I couldn’t turn around until I got out past the breakers. Once out of the inlet I set the waypoint for Masonboro and wanted to see how the boat would run on the new course. That lasted all of 3 minutes. I quickly decided I didn’t want to have the fillings jarred out of my teeth and decided that the ICW, with all of its weekend traffic, was a much better solution that running off-shore. So I turned Blue October around and headed back in.

There were lots of boats on the ICW heading south in addition to the weekend fisherman. The fishing is really good in NC right now and in many places the boats were anchored in the channel so thick you could barely get by. I still made really good time even with the added traffic. The boat ran great and I enjoyed my time on board. However, it is always good to get home. Thanks for following along.


The boat tied up in Coinjock on Friday night.


A couple of sunrise shots from this morning.





No comments:

Post a Comment