Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Almost a Perfect Day

Monday, June 17 - I start another trip tomorrow. The SPOT should be active around 5:30am. This time I will be moving a 2001 Carver 45 Pilothouse Voyager from Wrightsville Beach, NC up to Annapolis, MD. I expect (and hope) this trip will only take 2 days. We plan to run up to Coinjock, NC tomorrow; a run of about 235 miles. On Wednesday we plan to finish the trip from Coinjock up to Annapolis. The owner will be along on the voyage and we are eager to get moving first thing in the morning. The weather doesn't look all that great. We are forecast to have a good bit of rain tomorrow. Therefore, we plan to run up the ICW the entire day. I am not sure if I will have an internet connection tomorrow night, but if I do I will be sure to post the days activities.




Tuesday, June 18 - A near perfect day. Got off at 5:40am. Made all the bridges right on schedule; no delays. A very stress free day. The Neuse River was calm and the Albemarle Sound was the best I have ever seen. Just as calm as it could be.

Here is the real kicker. Got to talking to the owner today. His name is Leon. Come to find out Leon is 85 years old. Would have never guessed that. And Leon drove the entire day. With the exception of two bathroom breaks, Leon drove his boat 232 miles today. Just amazing!

We stopped at Coinjock Marina. For those that know, the absolute best Prime Rib in the world... really! Leon ate a 16oz Prime Rib, with all the trimmings and then put away a piece of cheesecake for dessert. The guy is my hero. I hope I'm doing half as good at his age.

On to Annapolis tomorrow. The boat is running well. We are cruising around 21mph. We have about 190 miles to go, but a bunch more bridges to contend with tomorrow around Norfolk.

It is nice when a trip goes as planned!

85 year old Leon at the helm

No comments:

Post a Comment