Wednesday, May 20, 2015

The Arch of St Louis

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the comments.

Today was a hard day. I didn't have enough warm clothes. It was absolutely freezing today. High was only about 46F. We departed off of Hoppie's barge this morning around 6:00am as usual. We continued to make our way up the Mississippi past St Louis. I have been wanting to see the St Louis arch for some time and I was glad I got to see it today. I always thought it would be bigger, but it was still a cool sight from the water.

We finally finished our travels on the Mississippi about 10:30 this morning when we finally got to make a right turn at Grafton, IL and begin our way up the Illinois River. We ran 226 miles today and arrived in Peoria, IL tonight around 5:30 after another 11 and a half hours. Because of the freezing cold temperatures and the constant rain today, we had the water all to ourselves. There were no small boats on the water and only a few tows and barges as well, so we made really great time. All of the locks and bridge were pretty much right on time today.

Because of the rain and frickin' freezing cold temperatures, there was not much picture taking today. I can say that the Illinois River is very nice and much more to my liking than the heavily industrial flavor of the Mississippi.


The St Louis Arch




Alton, IL


The city of Alton, IL


Coming into Grafton, IL


Grafton Marina


Downtown Peoria, IL

No comments:

Post a Comment